TRANSLATOR ACADEMY FOR EXTERNAL PARTNERS
In the translation industry, LKT has a unique model – a team of fully qualified and trained German>English translators whose daily work focuses primarily on the job of translation itself, and revising one another’s translations. Our in-house team is the core of our operations, but in order to fulfil demand from our customers, we also rely on a pool of trusted external suppliers, as we recognise that the industry contains many talented professionals who supply their services on a freelance basis.
Early in the development of our model, we identified a stumbling block in the industry that is undoubtedly familiar to these many freelancers operating within it: if you’re a fresh face in the industry, how do you get the experience that will allow you to gain the customers? Even for those armed with languages degrees and postgraduate translation qualifications, the actual business of translation can be alien territory. Our Translator Academy emerged in an effort to provide a solution: over the years of its existence, we have taken on new recruits fresh from university and developed them into professionals in a commercial environment through a system of continued professional development.
NOT IN-HOUSE? NO PROBLEM
As our team has grown to include both in-house staff and suppliers, we now want to roll out our in-house Translator Academy model to potential new external partners working from German to English, giving those new to the industry this same kind of mentoring without requiring them to join our in-house team. We believe that this will provide another avenue for fresh faces to gain that much-needed experience of the industry, as well as assisting us in fulfilling ever-increasing demand from our customers. If you are new to the translation business, this could be for you and we’d be delighted to discuss things further – see below for how to contact us.
WHAT TO EXPECT – AND WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You’ll be assigned live German>English projects from our customers under similar conditions to our existing pool of suppliers, with full specifications including CAT tool settings and reference materials
- All jobs will undergo a full revision process, in which an experienced member of our in-house team will revise your work and compile a detailed set of feedback on aspects such as style, terminology and customer specifications
- This same member of our in-house team will act as your mentor and, in addition to compiling feedback, will be available to answer questions at any time during the course of a live project – whether you’d simply like their input on a sentence or need them to pass queries on to a customer
- Your progress will be tracked using a scoring system developed in-house, and you will be given regular feedback on the overall picture of your progress so that you know how you are developing and which areas you need to work to improve
- You will ultimately have the opportunity to transition into a fully fledged member of our pool of trusted suppliers, allowing you to work independently and deliver projects without the need for a second person to revise them
- We have designed this programme with new translators in mind, so we don’t expect you to have industry experience. However, we will expect you to submit all of the usual information you’d provide when applying for freelance work in the form of a CV listing your qualifications, experience, equipment, and so on
- You should keep us updated regularly about your availability, so that we can be in touch with you if we have questions about a project or need to know what capacity you have available
- You should show a willingness to take feedback on board and be open to learning opportunities
- A valid licence for SDL Studio and an Across Translator Edition installation would be an advantage but are not essential